Friday, December 11, 2009

Mary Hazels Birth Story

Ok, so if I don't write this down soon...I'm going to forget!!!

My last OB appt was on 11/17. I took Allison (my awesome labor support) along with me. I saw Jeri and had her check me. I had decided not to get checked earlier in the pregnancy but since I was getting a little anxious, I decided to go ahead....This was my 38 week check up. I was encouraged by the news that I was 2cm, 80% effaced (exactly the same spot I was with Norah on my first check). Jeri (my midwife) said that I would more than likely have her before Thanksgiving (but I was not going to get my hopes up!!!). Anyway, I went home and packed my hospital bag. It is funny at how much less you pack the second time around!!! Brenda (Lee's mom agreed to go ahead and come stay with us which was such a relief since I was a little worried about what we would do with Norah if I went into labor at night!!! Life remained normal for the next few days. Lee and I planned on going to see New Moon (don't laugh...I read all the books) on 11/21. I told him that it could be our anniversary present!!! I ate way too much candy and popcorn at the movies but enjoyed the time with Lee. We got home that afternoon and hung out...I think that we had sandwiches or something "light" since we pigged out at the movies!!! We went to bed as usual...I woke up around 2:00 and went to the bathroom. I got back in bed and rolled over to tell Lee (once again) that I was uncomfortable!!! I tried to sleep but around 2:30 I had one contraction (not unusual) and felt my water leak!!! WOW...this happened just like it did with Norah (except it was around 5:30 AM w/ her!!!). I hopped out of bed for fear of ruining our mattress and ran to the bathroom. My water was leaking but had not completely broke yet. I called the midwife and Allison (my support team). The midwife said to wait at home until the contractions were closer. Lee took a shower and shaved so he would look good for the new baby and I just hung out...put on a little makeup and brushed my hair!!! We woke Brenda up soon and all prayed together before heading out the door...

We took Lee's car to the hospital b/c it has leather seats (not sure how I would get amniotic fluid out of my car???)!!! The ride was easy but the contractions were getting closer together. We were greeted by some not-so-lovely staff (I will try to forgive them...it was around 4:00 AM and it was also the weekend!!!). I went directly to OB assessment, undressed and got hooked up to the machine to monitor my contractions. I had to fight with the nurse to not give me an IV...I won for the time being but had to get one later per the doctor. They just gave me a hep block so at least I did not have to have any tubes hanging from me...just a needle in my arm!!! I walked to the labor room, met my nurse (who soon had to leave b/c of shift change), and settled down. Allison worked on the room per my birth plan. She dimmed the lights, got out the yoga ball, found me some socks, turned on some Enya, and gave me some Orange essence oil to smell (very nice!!!). The contractions were getting a little more intense and regular. I walked around some, rocked in the chair some, and sat on the toilet. I believe that the yoga ball was my favorite place to contract. An hour or so later, I had the nurse check me. I was still only 6-7 cm and there was still some water that needed to break. I walked some more and talked to Jeri soon after...she said to get in the bed and lay on my side and have 2 contractions on each side. BOY, DID THIS WORK!!! The side contractions took the word contraction to a whole new level!!! This is when I started to feel a little less controlled. The pain was so much more intense on my side. At the end of my 4th contraction on my side, I told the nurse that she was coming out and that I needed to push. Within a few seconds, a whole new crew was in the room with me. At this point, I was not sure how to handle the pain...not much was working. I tried to focus on the baby and that it would be over soon. Allison was so sweet to hold a cool rag on my face because I was sweating so bad. She read me several of the bible verses that I brought along. Lee just held my hand and let me rest my head on him. During the contractions, he was the only person I wanted to touch me. Lee held one leg while Allison held the other. I was glad not to be in stirrups!!! I pushed once (felt like I was on fire!!!) but did not give it my all...I was still trying to figure out how hard I needed to push and was terrified of the pain!!! I really cannot say exactly how long I pushed (15 min, maybe???). Once her head came out, the doctor said to wait and I said (or rather screamed)..."I CANNOT WAIT". I pushed again and Mary Hazel was born at 9:25 AM. She was 8lbs, 14oz, 21 1/4". She was COVERED in cheese. The handed her directly to me and after I got a good look, we started to nurse. She latched on very well. They let me hold her for about 45 min then Lee went with her for her first bath, etc...I was so tired and hungry. I'm glad that Allison thought to bring some snacks...I refueled with homemade banana muffins and granola with some AJ!!! I wanted to get up and walk as soon as possible. The nurse helped me up and I was able to use the restroom with no problems!!! I sat down in a wheelchair and they moved me to my room. Lee and I got a lot of time with just Hazel. We only had 2 visitors (mainly due to the new hospital visitor policies)...my mom and his mom!!! I tried nursing more but Hazel was only interested in sleeping...I don't blame her!!! We relaxed, watched TV, I took a shower, and we just talked. I had Lee take out my IV (the nurses kept telling me to wait)!!! The first night was uneventful...Hazel slept some but I did not.

The next morning went by fast...we kept asking to leave so the nurses were great about getting our paperwork complete and having the hearing test and PKU done!!! The pediatrician and OB came by before 9:00 AM and we were on our way home by 10:30 AM!!! Norah was so excited to see the baby...she hugged and kissed on her...what an answered prayer!!!

We are all doing great. It seems like Hazel has always been part of our family. She will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Oh yeah, she was born on 11/22, which is our anniversary!!! I am so much more at ease around her. I definitely worry A LOT less!

What a privilege it is to be the mother of two beautiful girls. Thank you Lord for allowing me watch over these precious gifts, your children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home